Self Drive Holidays in Australia – Tips for Holiday Success
Self drive holidays are a fun and affordable way to experience Australia. Whether you’re traveling alone, or as a family or group, vehicles are available in all configurations to suit your requirements. Here are a few campervan hire tips to ensure your self drive holiday in Australia is the perfect trip you’ve been dreaming of.
Tip #1 – Choose the Right Holiday Vehicle
The right vehicle is critical to the success of your self drive holiday. A few things to keep in mind when booking your camper hire are as follows:
- 4WD or 2WD Hire? If you’re planning on going off the beaten track, or camping on the beach, be sure to hire a 4WD. You can hire a landcruiser with roof tent, or a 4WD on it’s own or with a 4WD camper trailer for extra room.
- Roof Height. Some vans a smaller than others. If you are planning to spend a lot of time in your van, or you are particularly tall, you should hire a vehicle with higher interior space. Ask us when you book.
- Sleeping Arrangements. Consider sleeping arrangements when booking your van. You’ll be pleased to know that each campervan is surprisingly roomy, but you might prefer an extra tent for comfort.
- Essentials vs Luxuries. A DVD player can make all the difference to your holiday – especially with kids. Likewise, a solar powered shower and/or on-board toilet helps put many people at ease. Be sure to consider the needs of yourself and your passengers, then be sure to choose a van with the essentials – and the luxuries you need.
Tip #2 – Check that Camping Gear is Included with Your Hire
Many companies do not include camping equipment in their hire quote. It is essential you know this BEFORE you collect your vehicle. At Campabout OZ, all the camping equipment you need is included with your hire, so you can relax and know you won’t be caught out with hidden expenses.
Tip #3 – Get the Right Advice
If you’re visiting from overseas, or even interstate, you will need tips and advice when planning your itinerary for a self drive holiday in Australia. Here are some of the things we can help you with:
- Suggested destinations
- How to drive a 4WD
- How to tow a camping trailer
- How to use camping equipment
- Places to visit and things to do
Follow these 3 tips and you’ll be on your way to a great self drive holiday. It’s also good to know that when you book with us, you’ll get a full vehicle demonstration before you hit the open road.